Sharing our Sustainability Goals
Audience Systems has a new plan in place to develop and improve the sustainability of our business.
"Sustainability" is not just about improving our energy efficiency and reducing our carbon footprint – although those things are of course an important part of our plan. We've linked our plan to the UN's 17 goals for sustainable development, which you can find out more about here. It means that for our business, sustainability is about the protection of people, health and wellbeing, as well as the protection of our environment. We're using the B Corp "B Impact" assessment tool to set goals and monitor our progress.
The following measures are already in place:
- A philosophy of designing and manufacturing our products for durability and serviceability. This has always been, and always will be, at the heart of our business.
- Materials and Components – we have investigated and mapped the industry relevant environmental standards required of the various materials used within our products, including timber, steel and fabric. We already require that our suppliers adhere to relevant standards; for example we always use FSC timbers.
- Carbon Footprint – we measure our carbon footprint using the Carbon Sustainability Tool and have already reduced the carbon footprint of our products through upgrades of our manufacturing plant.
- Indoor Air Quality – we have tested representative samples of our retractable platforms and Espace / Accolade chairs to ensure emissions of key chemicals are within the levels specified by the BREEAM, LEED and WELL standards.
- Waste Management – for many years, we have actively sought to reduce waste by investing in CNC machinery that optimises use of materials, by segregating waste streams and by repurposing waste either in our own facility or through donations to local charities.
- End of life – our products are designed to be easily disassembled into component materials using hand tools. We can provide resources to aid disassembly including drawings and strip-out sequences
Going forward, the commitments at the heart of our plan are as floows:
- We will continue to reduce our products' carbon footprint through by replacing high energy plant and equipment with more efficient and renewable technology.
- We will continue to seek certification of our products to industry recognised sustainability standards.
- We will continue to strengthen our management system and governance arrangements to support our vision.
- We will develop our people through training and upskilling to support our sustainability strategy. - including use of the Supply Chain Sustainability School.
- We will develop and improve our supply chain to support these commitments.
- We will actively avoid partaking in any form of greenwashing both in written and verbal communications.
- We will continue to to review these commitments and set new goals, as this is a continual improvement journey with no defined end goal.
You can download a summary of where we are, and what we have planned. Please do take a look.